Barbering is one of the fastest-growing professions in the U.S according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Modern-day barbershops are popping up all over the country (and world). Barbershops are helping to define, enhance and critique traditional notions of what it is to be a man. The men’s grooming industry is expected to increase to more than $26B by 2020. Our program will teach the student hands-on training in every aspect of hair care from haircutting, color, texture, shaving, skincare, grooming, health and safety, to business skills to build a successful career.
The course consists of fifteen hundred (1500) hours of technical instruction and practical training cover all practices of a barber.
Upon completion of this program, students should be able to:
- Learn the proper use of implements and techniques relative to all barbering services.
- Acquire the knowledge of sanitation and sterilization as related to all phases of barbering services.
- Acquire knowledge of laws and rules regulating the established California’s barbering practices.
- Acquire business management techniques common to barbering.
- Provide a learning environment, in which students strengthen inner emotional controls, increase self-confidence and self-discipline, and establish a sense of dignity and self-worth
- Present learning activities, which teach students to listen, observe, solve problems and develop manipulative skills.
- Provide diverse instructional strategies, which meet students’ needs and learning styles.
- Provide an opportunity to learn the basic skills of the trade together with the related scientific and technical knowledge of advancement necessary in the barbering and cosmetology field.
- Provide productive experiences as nearly like those “on-the-job” as possible.
- Provide safety consciousness in the work environment.
- Promote interpersonal relationships, which are directed toward developing the ability to work cooperatively.
- Provide an opportunity for students to develop leadership abilities.
- Create a learning environment in which students will develop an appreciation for quality craftsmanship.
- Provide students with salable skills in the barbering and cosmetology field.
- Develop a positive work ethic and the self-discipline required for work and advancement in the industry.
- Provide training in the area of communication skills that includes professional ethics, salesmanship, decorum, record keeping, and client service record cards.
After graduation, you will find work as a barber, hair stylist, or hair dresser. You may choose to work in an independent barbershop, a salon, a national franchise, an independent chain, or you may even choose to be open your own barbershop at some point."Enroll in Barber Program at Award-Winning School"
Equipment / Supply List:
Text Book Milady’s Standard Barbering, latest edition. Publisher: Milady
- Carrying duffel bag
- Hair cutting shear
- Hair shaping razor
- Cotton towels
- Blood spill kit (biohazard bag, disposable gloves)
- Paper towels
- First aid kit (band-aids, anti-septic, alcohol wipes)
- Trash bags
- Spray bottle
- Portion cups
- Scotch tape
- Hospital EPA solution
- Liquid hand soap
- Nail brush
- Wooden spatulas
- Shaving cream
- Straight styling combs
- Shampoo combs
- Tapered barber combs
- Cutting combs (flat top or buzz)
- Styling cape
- Butterfly clips
- Cotton coil
- Perm rods
- Simulated wave solution – fill with water
- Simulated neutralizer – fill with water
- End papers
- Protective cream (cholesterol)
- Disposable gloves
- Tint bowls
- Tint brushes
- Bottle (s) / Jar (s)
- Styling gel or cholesterol cream
- Shampoo capes
- Neck strips
- Styptic powder
- Cotton balls
- Facial tissue
- Head wraps
- Foam wedges
- Plastic spatula
- Processing cap
- Round thermal brush
- Paddle brush
- Duckbill clips
- Sectioning clips
- Facial cleanser
- Massage cream
Course Content: 1500 clock hours
|Subject Covers||Technical Instruction||Min. Practical Operations|
|Permanent Waving and Chemical Straightening||40||105|
|Hair Coloring and Bleaching||60||50|
|Shaving (Preparation and Performance)||100||40|
|Laws and Regulations||20|
|Health and Safety Considerations||45|
|Disinfection and Sanitation||20|
|Anatomy and Physiology||15|
|State Board Test Preparation||50|
|Cosmetology Career and Salon Management||20|
The subject of Hairstyling shall include, but is not limited to, the following techniques and procedures: Hair analysis, shampooing, finger waving, pin curling, comb outs, straightening, waving, curling with hot combs and hot curling irons and blower styling.
Permanent Waving and Chemical Straightening
The subject of Permanent Waving and Chemical Straightening shall Include, but is not limited to, the following techniques and procedures: Hair analysis, acid and alkaline permanent waving, chemical straightening including the use of sodium hydroxide and other base solutions.
Hair Coloring and Bleaching
The subject of Hair Coloring and Bleaching shall include, but is not limited to, the following techniques and procedures (also including, the use of semi-permanent, demi-permanent and temporary colors): Hair analysis, predisposition and strand tests, safety precautions, formula mixing, tinting, bleaching, high and low lights, and the use of dye removers.
The subject of Hair Cutting shall include, but is not limited to, the following techniques and procedures: Use of scissors, razor (shaper), electrical clippers/trimmers, and thinning (tapering) shears for wet and dry cutting.
Disinfection and Sanitation
Procedures to protect the health and safety of the consumer as well as the technician. The ten required minimum operations shall entail performing all necessary functions for disinfecting instruments and equipment as specified in Sections 979 and 980. Disinfection should be emphasized through-out the entire training period and must be performed before use of all instruments and equipment
Shaving (Preparation and Performance)
The subject of Preparation and Performance shall include, but is not limited to the following techniques and procedures: Preparing the client's hair for shaving, assessing the condition of the client's skin, performing shaving techniques, applying after-shave antiseptic following facial services, massaging the client's face, rolling cream massages.
Laws and Regulations
The subjects of Laws and Regulations shall include, but is not limited to, the following issues: The Barbering and Cosmetology Act and the Board's Rules and Regulations.
Health and Safety Conditions
Health and Safety/hazardous substances including training in chemicals and health in establishments, material safety data sheets, protection from hazardous chemicals and preventing chemical injuries, health and safety laws and agencies, bacteriology and preventing communicable diseases including HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis B.
Disinfection and Sanitation
The subject of Disinfection and Sanitation shall include, but is not limited to the following techniques and procedures: Disinfection and sanitation including proper procedures to protect the health and safety of the consumer as well as the technician, proper disinfection procedures for equipment used in establishments.
Anatomy and physiology
Understanding infection control, bacteriology, and how the human body functions as an integrated whole.
State Board Test Preparation
Prepare students to pass theory and practical for the Board tests.
Barbering Career and Salon Management
Learning business knowledge to better manage your career and professional finances, as well as your business practice